Biltong Pasta Recipe.
Biltong Pasta is part of South Africa’s cuisine that has been moulded by many different nationalities throughout the century’s.
Parboiling the butternut saves you lots of time and it will cook much quicker.
Parmesan completes the recipe and adds a subtle but lovely flavour. Biltong pasta is a firm favourite food in many homes across South Africa.
Biltong Pasta Ingredients.
- 1 medium-sized butternut – peeled and cut up into small cubes
- 125gr bacon – finely chopped
- Fresh thyme
- 1 bulb of garlic- top sliced off
- 1 medium onion- sliced
- lemon-infused olive oil
- salt/pepper to taste
- 500gr pasta of your choice – cooked al dente.
- freshly grated parmesan cheese – about 1 cup
- 1 cup biltong – thinly sliced
- To save time, I par-boiled the butternut, but this is not necessary.
- In an ovenproof dish, scatter the bacon pieces, topped with the butternut and onion
- Add the whole garlic bulb and drizzle the whole lot with olive oil and season with salt/pepper and thyme.
- Roast this in a hot oven until the butternut is cooked, the bacon is crispy and the garlic is soft and yummy.
- For the last 2-3 minutes, scatter the sliced biltong on top and let the biltong just warm through and start to brown slightly.
- Drain the pasta and add the content of the oven dish to the pasta.
- Add the parmesan and toss lightly.
- Season if needed.