Creamy Mushroom and Biltong Soup
The flavours included in this biltong soup recipe will complement your taste buds. This is a perfect recipe for a quick and easy meal to make on a cold winters evening for the whole family to enjoy. It is also perfect for when you are on a weight loss plan.
- 4 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 3/4 red / yellow baby pepper finely diced
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 3/4 tbsp crushed garlic
- 1 punnet button mushrooms
- 1 1/2 tsp mixed dried herbs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 250 ml fresh cream
- 250 ml full cream / whole milk
- 250 ml water
- 1 chicken stock pot / cube
- 1/2 cup biltong (I’ve used moist biltong sliced)
- 25 mins
- Heat oil in a pan and add in onion and chopped pepper. Sauté until onion is translucent and pepper is soft then stir in garlic.
- Add in sliced mushrooms (cut in half then sliced)
- Sauté until cooked. Season with very little salt (stock will be added later), some freshly ground black pepper and mixed dried herbs.
- Mix in cream, milk, water and stock and allow to simmer for about 7 – 10 minutes.
- Before serving mix in biltong/bacon bits.
- Serve with garlic and chillies or toasted garlic bread.