Biltong Tart can be either baked in the oven or on a Weber Charcoal Barbecue. The tart is quick to make and does not take long to cook at all. It can be eaten all year round. It is a big hit at parties and always goes down well.
- 125g flour (260 ml) 125g cream cheese or cottage cheese
- 125g Butter (135 ml) 1ml salt
- Sift the flour and salt together. Rub the butter into the flour mixture, using your fingertips.
- Mix the cream cheese in with a knife.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator to cool.
- Roll the dough out to about 3mm thickness.
- Place pastry in an ungreased pie tin about 200mm in diameter.
- Bake pastry shell for 15 minutes at 220 degrees C (450 degrees F.)
Biltong Tart Ingredients
- 20g Flour (37,5 ml) 50g Mushrooms chopped (150 ml)
- 20g Butter (25 ml)
- 3 ml lemon juice
- 250ml milk
- 10g onion, chopped (10 ml)
- 50g finely grated biltong (200ml)
- 5 ml parsley, chopped
- 10g Butter (12,5ml)
- 2 eggs
- Add the milk slowly and keep stirring until the sauce boils. Simmer it for 3 minutes.
- Chop the mushrooms and sprinkle with lemon juice. Sauté the mushrooms and chopped onion in the 10g butter until brown.
- Add to the white sauce.
- Separate the eggs beat the egg yolks and add to the white sauce.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into mixture.
- Spoon into partially baked pastry shell and bake for 10 minutes at 200 degrees C (400 degrees F.) (8-10 servings)