Biltong Bread is a traditional bread that has accompanied many barbecues in South Africa. This delicious biltong pot bread is made with cake flour and cooked on the fire. The best fire to use for this is a Charcoal fire as it adds a delicious taste to the bread.
Biltong Bread Ingredients
- Serves 6
- 240 g / 9 oz Cake flour (500 ml)
- 20 ml / 4 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 ml / Half a tsp Salt
- 5 ml / 1 tsp Mustard powder
- 100g / Quarter Pound of Butter
- Approximately 100 ml / Quarter cup of Milk
- 1 Egg – beaten
- 120 g / 5 oz Finely Ground Biltong (250 ml)
- 200 g / Half a pound of Smooth cottage cheese
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp Chopped parsley
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Mayonnaise to moisten
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- To make the dough sift together the dry ingredients. Cut butter into the flour with a knife and the crumbs.
- Beat the milk and egg together. Make a well in the flour mixture and add the liquid gradually. Mix quickly to a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a rub it in with your fingers until the mixture resembles dried bread floured board and knead lightly until smooth.
- Roll out into a square approximately 10mm / Half Inch thick.
- To make the filling mix all ingredients together and spread the dough keeping 25mm / 1 inches clear along the edges.
- Roll up the dough like a Swiss roll and seal the edges with beaten egg and water. Wrap lightly in greaseproof paper and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Carefully cut the dough into 25mm / 1 mm slices and arrange them – cut side down – on the bottom of a greased No.3 cast iron pot.
- Begin in the centre and arrange the remaining slices in a circle. Leave the sides of the pot clear to allow the dough to rise.
- Grease the inside of the lid with cooking oil or butter and cover the pot. Put the pot over a small fire – put a few small hot coals on the lid and bake for 20 – 30 minutes until the biltong bread is golden brown and cooked.
- Turn out – cool slightly – and then serve with crisp vegetable sticks and lettuce leaves.
- On a nice summers day, you could accompany this recipe with potato salad.